Chef Fany Gerson is the founder/owner of La Newyorkina (get the mango-chile paletas!) and Dough Doughnuts (get the blood orange doughnut!). She’s also the author of three cookbooks: My Sweet Mexico, Paletas, and Mexican Ice Cream. Her recipes have been featured in The New York Times, Saveur, Serious Eats, Bon Appetit, Fine Cooking, Food and Wine, and more.
***transcript coming soon***
In this episode
- In case anyone wants savory oatmeal recommendations, my favorites are: butter/nutritional yeast/salt/hot sauce (optional) or miso/sesame oil/finely chopped green onion. The lazy version is just oatmeal with salt, miso, or soy sauce in it. That’s good too.
- [Cat Quiz spoiler] Here’s a photo of the bakery mistake that went viral, for obvious reasons.
- If this episode’s Hot Topic got you thinking about cats with jobs, head over to r/CatsWithJobs to see some cats with jobs.
- Fany and I each have one cat and one child, so we ended up having a really interesting conversation about cats and kids and how they interact, relate to each other, and grow up together. Typing this just now I realized that one of my earliest memories is crawling after my mom’s cat, Midnight, and trying to grab her tail as she scurried down the hall of our apartment.
- Sometimes it works out fine anyway, but if you’re thinking about giving a cat (or any other pet) as a gift, you might want to review these tips first.
- Raise your hand if you want to see a Leonard-themed frozen treat at La Newyorkina! (Raises both hands and waves them wildly)
- Well, well, well: Turns out optimism is associated with better health and longevity. That plus dessert and plenty of cat therapy = the healthiest lifestyle in the world? I think yes.